Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Retro Future


I found someone selling the four Judges Guild sector books for Traveller in a price range a cheapskate like me couldn't pass up. I'm digging these books so far. My primary complaints is that the maps aren't half as pretty as the Spinward Marches poster. The graphic above is my first step towards correcting that problem. The Gateway Quadrant (the region pictured above) has three big advantages over the Spinward Marches:

1) Over twenty different polities for lotsa nuanced interstellar intrigue and maybe some wars, without the baggage of a lot of published stuff outlining the navies of the groups involved.

2) Besides the Imperium, the other two big empires in the neighborhood are the Two Thousand Worlds of the K'Kree and the Hiver Federation. As far as official Traveller aliens go, I find these guys to be a lot cooler than the Zhodani and Vargr that menace the Marches.

3) No one is using this stuff. This material has officially been de-canonized. Heck, the Traveller20 people are working on a new sourcebook that renders all the old JG stuff obsolete. No one could possibly care if I mess around with this setting.

1 comment:

  1. It just occurred to me that this setting would be a great place for me to use as the backdrop for some Starmada action.

    ReplyDelete