Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When in Doubt, Hack: A Motto to Game By

I've got a hole in my Knights of the Dinner Table collection of almost exactly one hundred issues. I picked up the first 2 years at a local comic store as they came out, along with the original Bundle of Trouble. I moved and that shop became inconvenient and I drifted away from the mag. Recently I got back on board at issue #128 or so. In between I have a couple issues I pulled out of various bargain bins.

Last night I started re-reading my back issues, something I do every once in a while. I thought I'd share a couple of my favorite panels. First off, from the Origins '03 Special, is a panel that perfectly encapsulates what it would be like to have me in your game:
From that same issue, here's much of the current 4E controversy in a nutshell:


Okay, I changed that one slightly. But only a little. The original talks about HackMaster version 4.25. Brian's line "4.25 is like" is the only alteration.

My alltime favorite KotD panel comes from issue #10. The set-up here is that Bob's dad has once again forbidden him from playing HackMaster. In order to continue to score experience points and treasure until the situation blows over, Bob hires a temp to play for him. The little guy passes Brian's quizz on rules knowledge. But Dave wants to know if the kid has the sand to run with his crew:


I should try Dave's hypothetical on new recruits to my games.

2 comments:

  1. Man Jeff, out of all the RPG blogs I read, you're the one that grabs my nostalgia the most... Pity my players don't have the stomach for a classic Hackfest.

    And that Rules edition excerpt is so spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chess has had many incarnations over the centuries, we just play what shook out to be most popular. Of course, the rules for that one are free, which is a big plus.

    ReplyDelete