Saturday, August 16, 2008

so what now?

My current game group is in a bit of disarray at the moment. Just before I went away on vacation my good buddy Pat announced that he was moving back to Springfield. That takes the trio assaulting the Keep on the Shadowfell down to a duo and I just don't feel up to it. We were already stretching the module by running with only three and my heart was only half in it anyway. Without Pat I don't want to continue. I wasn't the only one who had been doubting our ability to play through the module with such a small group.

Several plans have been put forth. Stuart has suggested he could run Exalted or Nobilis or something cyberpunky. The idea of getting the band back together for further Lords of Creation antics has been put forth. And dissolving the group has been suggested as one possibility. If it goes the latter way, I'll probably try to get an OD&D sandbox going in the style of Ben Robbins' West Marches ideas and/or distribute this crazy ass Encounter Critical recruitment flier I've been working on.

8 comments:

  1. A hard situation. Still, infrequent games can be even more enjoyable as a result, and certainly give you good reason to choose something you really want to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:08 AM

    OD&D sandbox. It must be OD&D sandbox! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really see Nobilis being up your alley, Jeff, but who knows? I'm a sandbox man, myself. Good luck--gaming group flux is a challenge we all face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've actually run a session of Nobilis. It didn't work out mainly because the player mix was horribly wrong (2 guys who like stabbing orcs and 3 guys who thought Buffy the Vampire Slayer was primary achievement of western civilization). But man. Diceless. Modern fantasy. Starting characters are effectively demigods. I was way out in left field attempting to run that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep on the shadowfell?

    thats 4E

    i thought you were old school (pre2000 dnd)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I wanted to give 4E a try, so my buddy Stuart kindly ran a couple sessions of Keep on the Shadowfell. I don't have much enthusiasm for playing again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know how you feel

    i have been playing DnD v2.5 (home brew) for years

    wasnt really a fan of all the 3E bells & whistles (feats, prestige classes, etc . .)
    BUT sure like using all those available pre-made adventures (dungeon, goodman, etc).

    Hence, we combine a 2E philosophy with 3E nomenclature

    doubt I will ever like 4E,
    i dont believe an epic battle should be decided on where a player places his miniature

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Wait, your saying Buffy ISN'T the pinnacle of western civilization?

    ReplyDelete