Sunday, January 04, 2009

What I've been up to.

Winter War is a month away at this point and I really need to get my act together for my two games. I'm running an old Gamma World adventure vaguely adapted for Encounter Critical craziness and a Labyrinth Lord game for up to twenty players. Anybody who can get to Champaign on February 6th, 7th, or 8th should come play some games.

But before Winter War I'm attempting to launch my newcampaign running Labyrinth Lord plus Points of Light plus The Random Esoteric Creature Generator set in my World of Cinder, with the first session scheduled for Traditional Adventure Roleplaying Week. I really need to finish my write-up for the Armored Gopher Games website and kick the promotion of the game into high gear. All gameblog readers are invited to this campaign, even if you can only stop by for one session. One of the goals of the campaign is to accomodate people who can't committ to regular play. Come for just one session if you'd like.

The last couple of days I've been working on some Labyrinth Lord/house rules inserts for my nifty customizable GM screen. The process basically involves making a list of all possible charts I could want on my screen, prioritizing the list, retyping the highest priority items, and figuring out which of these I can squeeze onto the inserts in what arrangement. So far the Arduin crit and fumble charts are being a big pain in the ass to work with, but I'm tired of bringing a Grimoire or two to games for just a handful of charts.

While looking for a link for my nifty GM screen, I discovered that Ken Hite has written a post-apocalyptic setting for Savage Worlds. That sounds pretty cool.

11 comments:

  1. Labyrinth Lord plus Points of Light plus The Random Esoteric Creature Generator?

    I like. I like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Neat idea with the TARGA. I especially like the "Adventure" part of the name.

    Out of utter and sheer coincedence, the "prussien equipe de support d´aventure" = PESA is holding it´s 2nd international summit in Berlin next weekend.

    (http://151535.spreadshirt.net/de/DE/Shop)

    I assume the PESA to be automatically member of the larger TARGA effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff's Bid Stupid Dungeon Party...I wish I didn't live so far away or I'd be in on that action! Best of luck and looking forward to your recap here on the Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the name of TARGA, since I don't so much consider myself an old-school gamer as a traditionalist gamer (which I consider a much larger category that INCLUDES old-school gaming).

    For me at least, old-school gaming is "gaming in styles that pre-date my entry into the hobby" while traditionalist gaming is "gaming in ways that pre-date me feeling like an outsider at most game stores" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great. I'm going to try and make it to Winter War this year now that I'm back in Chicago. Anyone else in the Hyde Park area heading that way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently "negotiating" with the wife on when I'll be coming down (and when I say negotiating, I mean, how much it will cost me in reciprocal shoe purchases to make up for leaving her with the 2yo granddaughter)...

    The pre-reg lists games, but mentions that other games may/will be added. If I pre-reg, am I restricted in what I pick now, or if a new game shows up, can I add that to my registration? Would you happen to know?

    Either way, I'll be there for the JBSDP. Oh yes. :)

    I can't run a game next weekend at the local FLGS, but I am in spirit with you guys. I'm starting my monthly 1E/OSRIC a week later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. --COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC--

    Jeff, I've been trying to get in touch with you about the RPG Blog Anthology project I'm working on. Multiple posts from your blog were nominated to the Anthology back in October/November and the reviewers (who just finished on Dec 31) scored several of those posts in the top 10% of all the other nominations. Please contact me by email so that I can give you some more information. All the best -- jonathan (aka The Core Mechanic).

    ReplyDelete
  8. ^ jonathan DOT jacobs AT gmail DOT com ^

    sorry for the email drop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chgowiz: you can add or change your games at the registration desk. Pre-reg just gives you first crack at the games already on the schedule.

    Jonathan: I'll be emailing you momentarily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff - thank you! I just asked the event director if there were pick-up game tables/rooms. I'd like to run a microlite20 or microlite74 game as a demo/pick-up; I'm not sure I'm qualified to be a judge and that would be way overload with trying to start my 1E/OSRIC game.

    And the wife just cleared me, although something was muttered about a new ring...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your EC game conflicts with Kingmaker. Your D&D game conflicts with Rail Baron. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

    Guess it'll be Kingmaker and the Big Stupid Dungeon Party. Can't miss Kingmaker - I think I've played in that game something like 6 or 7 straight years.

    Luckily, it looks like there's a 1e game in between that conflicts with nothing!

    See ya there!!!

    ReplyDelete