Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Bookmarks. You know, for books.

I prefer "found object" bookmarks over the intentionally designed kind, like if I get a book at a brick-and-mortar store, I usually end up using the receipt as my bookmark. Here are a couple of my favorite bookmarks right now.

My extremely cool in-laws slipped this little note into the birthday card they gave me:


Like most rectangular slips of paper I've requisitioned for these purposes, I fold it in half down the longer axis when in use.

Here's the bookmark I've been using lately for larger books:

That looks like several playing cards, but it's actually a packaging element for a fancy-pants electro-gizmodic edition of Uno. I don't think it's any better than the regular version of the game, but the string of fake cards on the box is kinda cool.

6 comments:

  1. The in-laws message is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that cutting the clear strip of plastic that comes in a new dress shirt's collar gives me a perfectly durable, clear, 4cm wide bookmark.

    Haha, I think I'm getting more obsessive as I age, but I love having these uniformly clear bookmarks poking out of the multiple books I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I like these bookmarks of yours much more than the bookmark character sheets that are all the rave these past few days. Much more functional too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about the strange business cards and promotional fliers you find in your windshield wipers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an avid diner at Chinese restaurants, I submit that chopstick wrappers make the very best bookmarks. Although I used to repurpose my Farside daily desk calendar pages as bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes use found items (mostly receipts) as bookmarks, but mostly I use actual bookmarks.

    The book mark that marks my place in the current novel being read is one of those cardboard that's almost fabric ones with a tassel. It's got Garfield (the cat) on it. The bookmark and tassel are rather raggedy and beat up. This book mark dates at least back to the early 80s, I don't remember if I had it before going to college or if I got it while in college.

    I also have a stash of paper bookmarks acquired from various places. I have a big stash from my college student union. Then there is a stash advertising an SF convention that collected pre-registrations then never actually happened (and no refunds of course). Then various bookstore bookmarks and other random bookmarks round out the collection.

    If a novel gets sidelined for another more interesting one, the Garfield bookmark will move to the new book, and one of these random paper ones, or sometimes a found object one, will go into the book.

    Oh, and magazines often acquire a piece of (clean) toilet paper as a bookmark...

    Frank

    ReplyDelete