Friday, June 17, 2011

Mighty Deeds of Arms

I think this'll be the last time I talk about the Dungeon Crawl Classics rpg in a while.  We're running this topic into the ground and there are plenty of other things to talk about.

The Fighter rules include a new mechanic called Mighty Deeds of Arm.  Reading the Fighter section, this looks like a great improv type mechanic that allows you to kick quite a bit of on-the-fly ass.  But then you get to the referee's section on this stuff and suddenly there are all these fiddly charts that totally kill my buzz.

If you've got an opinion on this topic one way or the other, please go to the Goodman Games forums and sound off in this thread I started.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Honestly, it's the kind of thing I would make on-the-fly rulings for. No need to put it down as rules, but maybe that is there for the kids raised on d20 so they feel like they have permission to improvise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:35 PM

    (Not the same Anonymous)

    I think it is there for the kids raised on d20 so they can feel safe from the alien terror of improvisation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100%. A bit discouraging the response on the forum over there. I suspect, as Anonymi do (hopefully one of you isn't the Anonymous who thinks Hackmaster is a joke; see comments in previous post ;)), that this is some D20 brain damage at work. Considering that the mechanical implications of MDAs are consistent, it's a pretty hard thing for players to abuse. On the flip side, with those charts, I can totally see a GM saying "um, no you can't do that" to a player's idea because it's not on the charts. That's why I left 3.5 for greener pastures so many years ago.

    ReplyDelete